Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

May 14, 2006

dialogue from the film Out Of The Past, 1947

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/o/out-of-the-past-script.html

- Tell me something. - You don't look as though I could.

- You've been a lot of places, haven't you? - One too many. - Which did you like best? - This one right here. - I bet you say that to all the places.

-You were never married before, were you? -Not that I can remember.

-A guy can't even get shot by a dame... ...without the whole town starting to buzz like a... -Like you? Smoke a cigarette, Joe. -You just sit and stay inside yourself. You wait for me to talk. I like that. -I never found out much listening to myself. -You know, you're a curious man. -You're gonna make every guy you meet a little bit curious.

- Don't you like it in here? - I'm just not ready to settle down. -Shall I take you somewhere else? -You're gonna find it very easy to take me anywhere.

-I could have run away last night. - I'd find you. - Yes, I believe you would.

I never saw her in the daytime. We seemed to live by night. What was left of the day went away like a pack of cigarettes you smoked. I didn't know where she lived. I never followed her. All I ever had to go on was a place and time to see her again. I don't know what we were waiting for. Maybe we thought the world would end.

- I didn't know you were so little. - I'm taller than Napoleon. -You're prettier too.

- Did you miss me? - No more than I would my eyes.

-Jeff, I'm glad you're not afraid of him. -I've been afraid of half the things I ever did. - And this time? - I'm only afraid you might not go. -Don't be. I'll be there tomorrow.

Let's go down to the bar. You can cool off while we try to impress each other.

- Look, I got along before this job. I ate good, and I grew as big as you did. If there's something you don't like, say so.

Her name is Meta Carson. You'll find her charming. She may even find you charming. I understand that women have.

-Jeff, I had to come back. What else could I do? -You can never help anything, can you? You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another. You can't help anything you do, even murder. - You can't say it was that. - I can say one thing. I buried him.

-Buddy, you look like you're in trouble. - Why? - Because you don't act like it. -I think I'm in a frame. -Don't sound like you. -I don't know. All I can see is the frame. I'm going in there now to look at the picture.

- Apple martini? - Thanks. -Meta talked about you like you're the ninth wonder of the world. - She skipped one. - Meta must be the eighth. -All women are wonders because they reduce all men to the obvious. -And so do martinis.

- I don't want to die. -Neither do I, baby. But if I have to, I'm gonna die last.

No comments: