- Tell me something. - You don't look as though I could.
- You've been a lot of places, haven't you? - One too many. - Which did you like best? - This one right here. - I bet you say that to all the places.
-You were never married before, were you? -Not that I can remember.
-A guy can't even get shot by a dame... ...without the whole town starting to buzz like a... -Like you? Smoke a cigarette, Joe. -You just sit and stay inside yourself. You wait for me to talk. I like that. -I never found out much listening to myself. -You know, you're a curious man. -You're gonna make every guy you meet a little bit curious.
- Don't you like it in here? - I'm just not ready to settle down. -Shall I take you somewhere else? -You're gonna find it very easy to take me anywhere.
-I could have run away last night. - I'd find you. - Yes, I believe you would.
I never saw her in the daytime. We seemed to live by night. What was left of the day went away like a pack of cigarettes you smoked. I didn't know where she lived. I never followed her. All I ever had to go on was a place and time to see her again. I don't know what we were waiting for. Maybe we thought the world would end.
- I didn't know you were so little. - I'm taller than Napoleon. -You're prettier too.
- Did you miss me? - No more than I would my eyes.
-Jeff, I'm glad you're not afraid of him. -I've been afraid of half the things I ever did. - And this time? - I'm only afraid you might not go. -Don't be. I'll be there tomorrow.
Let's go down to the bar. You can cool off while we try to impress each other.
- Look, I got along before this job. I ate good, and I grew as big as you did. If there's something you don't like, say so.
Her name is Meta Carson. You'll find her charming. She may even find you charming. I understand that women have.
-Jeff, I had to come back. What else could I do? -You can never help anything, can you? You're like a leaf that the wind blows from one gutter to another. You can't help anything you do, even murder. - You can't say it was that. - I can say one thing. I buried him.
-Buddy, you look like you're in trouble. - Why? - Because you don't act like it. -I think I'm in a frame. -Don't sound like you. -I don't know. All I can see is the frame. I'm going in there now to look at the picture.
- Apple martini? - Thanks. -Meta talked about you like you're the ninth wonder of the world. - She skipped one. - Meta must be the eighth. -All women are wonders because they reduce all men to the obvious. -And so do martinis.
- I don't want to die. -Neither do I, baby. But if I have to, I'm gonna die last.