Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Jan 25, 2007

first draft of first scene of a new play

ONE

(BRIAN wearing a button up shirt and tie knocks on the
bathroom door.)

TODD
(os)
In a minute!

(BRIAN goes downstage toward the futon where NEAL is
sitting holding a video controller. He is deep in the
throes of a video game.)

BRIAN
You're up already?

NEAL
Up?

BRIAN
Yeah.

NEAL
Oh, no, I didn't go to sleep yet.

BRIAN
Oh.

NEAL
Yeah.

(Pause)

BRIAN
I start a temp job today. I have to wear a tie.

NEAL
Huh. I should get a job.


BRIAN
Yeah. (Pause) Did you have a job before?

NEAL
Huh?

BRIAN
Is this a good game?

NEAL
What?

BRIAN
I've never played it.

NEAL
Oh.

TODD
(os)
I'll be out in a minute!

BRIAN
I'm supposed to wear a tie. I'm a little nervous.
Have you ever . . .?

NEAL
What?

BRIAN
Nothing. (Pause) Neal.

NEAL
What?

BRIAN
Are you going to be around later? After I'm done with
work?

NEAL
I don't know.

BRIAN
I was just thinking.

NEAL
Huh.

BRIAN
Maybe . . .

NEAL
I'm sorry, what?

BRIAN
Nothing. It's just . . . I don't know. It's like .
. . are you happy here?

NEAL
What?

BRIAN
In New York.

NEAL
Oh.

BRIAN
I was just wondering if . . . you know, this is--

NEAL
I need some crackers or something.

(NEAL gets up and exits stage left to the kitchen.
BRIAN walks upstage to stand next to the bathroom
door.)

BRIAN
Todd.

TODD
I know. I know.

BRIAN
I really have to go. I don't want to be late my first
day.

TODD
I know. I swear, I'll be right out.

BRIAN
That's what you keep saying.

TODD
We're best friends, huh?

BRIAN
Yeah, Todd.

TODD
We're always going to be best friends.

BRIAN
Sure.

TODD
Even sometimes if I lock myself in the bathroom, huh
buddy.

BRIAN
Uh huh. I got to go.

TODD
We should have a special best friend language that we
speak that no one can understand.

BRIAN
Yeah, ok.

TODD
I'm serious.

BRIAN
I know you are.

TODD
Remember that time we went bowling?

(NEAL reenters.)

NEAL
Have you seen the crackers?

BRIAN
No.

(NEAL looks at him then re-exits.)

TODD
I ate all the crackers.

BRIAN
Todd! Seriously. I have to go now.

TODD
OK. I had my suit cleaned. You want to see?

BRIAN
Todd!

TODD
Close your eyes.

BRIAN
Todd!

TODD
Are your eyes closed?

BRIAN
(Closing his eyes)
Yes.

TODD
Are they closed?

BRIAN
They're closed.

(TODD opens the door. He stands in a full white
rabbit costume with a place cut out for his face.)

TODD
What do you think?

BRIAN
Very nice. Let's go.

No comments: