Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Dec 30, 2011

My 2011 in review

I had 8 productions of full length plays in 2011 with 12 more planned for 2012, in theory. (although this time last year I thought there would be 12 productions this year). To make a living solely from playwriting I would have to have something like 5 times as many productions as I had this year. It’s true I doubled the amount of productions from last year, but still…I’m not sure how to make that happen.

This year I spent time in Anaheim, CA (2 readings, production), Los Angeles (2 readings, some meetings, wedding), West Virginia (reading), Westchester, NY (reading), Boston (reading), Bloomington, IN (reading), Montreal (just for fun), Seattle (for a wedding), Ft Myers, FL (production), Nazareth, PA (wedding), Philadelphia, PA (production). And was in and out of NYC frequently (2 productions, 1 public reading, 1 web series, 1 wedding, lots of private readings and other things.)

What else? The first season of my web series, Compulsive Love, was filmed and it should come out early in the new year.

I wrote a pilot, 3 full length plays, 1 half hour long play, started work on another pilot with two other writers, and am in the process of turning My Base and Scurvy Heart into a musical with the same composer and lyricist I was working with this time last year.

I was the resident playwright at the Chance Theater in Anaheim, CA even though I was living in CT most of the time. Got a grant from CT Commission on Culture & Tourism (from the Artist Fellowship Grant Program for playwriting.)

We moved back to Brooklyn.

The interviewing project continues -- It’s up to 416 playwright interviews now, which means I got 117 interviews this year. (I never thought it would continue this far, but really it’s less than 5 percent of the playwrights out there right now) I also started interviewing artistic directors—there are 5 of those up now.

I just finished a play so I’m wondering what’s next. Maybe get back to that novel, maybe write a screenplay. I’ll have to see which way internal and external forces push me in the new year. Here’s hoping to good winds for us all.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

ambien generic said...

Happy 2012 Adam!