Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Jun 27, 2012

I Interview Playwrights Part 471: Sarah Schulman


Sarah Schulman

Hometown: New York City

Current Town: New York City

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  A new play about sexual harassment and race.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A:  Like many of my generation I was handed The Diary of Anne Frank at an early age and it taught me that girls could be writers.

Q: If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A:  Right now the standard is to reflect back to producers and their identified audiences, their perceptions of themselves. I would change this so that the standard for theater would be to expand what we understand about being alive.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:  I must admit that Cherry Jones has inspired and frustrated me for many years.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  Work that grapples with something that matters while expanding the kinds of experiences, points of view and characters seen on the American stage.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  Don't do it.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:  Most recent book: The Gentrification of the Mind:Witness to a Lost Imagination (U of California Press)

No comments: