Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Mar 14, 2013

I Interview Playwrights Part 557: Lindsay Joy



Lindsay Joy

Hometown: Hudson, New Hampshire

Current Town: Brooklyn!

Q: Tell me about The Rise and Fall of a Teenage Cyberqueen.

A: Rise/Fall is the story of a flawed American family uprooted and unhinged by the rapid pace of online chat rooms and video feeds. The play centers around Lyla, a 14 year old girl, and what happens to her family as videos of her go viral. I wanted to use the duality of our "online selves" versus our true selves to unravel the intertwining lives of a family. I don't want to give away too much, but I will say that I'm crazy proud of the play. Director Padraic Lillis and the entire cast have done an amazing job.

Q: What else are you working on?

A: I'm working on a few new projects. I'm working on a multi-writer, collaborative project based on the hero's journey with AMios Theater Company. I'm also developing two new full length plays with my company, the LabRats.

Q: Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A: I think that growing up in New England gave me a unique voice. New Englanders show their love by teasing...hard. It allows me to find laughter in awful situations.

Q: If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A: The one thing that I would change about theater? Getting more people to come out and see it.

Q: Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A: Martin Mcdonagh, Paula Vogel, Tracy Letts, Lee Blessing, John Patrick Shanley, Sam Shepard, Marsha Norman...I could go on and on!

Q: What kind of theater excites you?

A: I love theater that makes me laugh hard really right before the bottom drops out in a scene (the big reveal in the second scene of Pillowman comes to mind). That excites the shit out of me. There's so much great new work out there right now- new voices. We are on the edge of a paradigm shift to new work and I'm all in.

Q: What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A: Advice? Secrets. Secrets are your best friend. Give each of your characters (even the smaller characters) a secret and it'll open a new play right up for you.

Q: Plugs, please

A: Please come and see the show! http://www.facebook.com/l/zAQHBHaJqAQGwYPZRzHQbsjDkPUeuwweNQxo-VafkDZkgcw/riseandfall.brownpapertickets.com/
5 shows left. $10 tickets with pw: teenqueen

---
Book Store
Books by Adam

No comments: