Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Oct 8, 2014

I Interview Playwrights Part 697: Lane Bernes Genee



Lane Bernes Genee

Hometown: Marietta, Georgia.

Current Town: New York, NY.

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  Two short plays for Love Drunk and a TV pilot.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a artist or as a person.

A:  Here's an excerpt for psych evaluation of me at 7: Lane has an above average IQ but is not a genius. She is talkative and can carry on in-depth conversations with adults...she shows great empathy towards the characters in the story we've read, but prefers to make up her own stories about the characters... the stories she made up often came in song form... she is easily distracted, and expects rewards for "good" behavior.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A:  First off, I try to be a nice person. Ask Morgan Gould, she said I wasn't an asshole and she wouldn't interview me for her Asshole Blog. But I gotta say I hate this Kickstarter mentality we've all got. It's bullshit. It just feels like artists asking artists for handouts, and it devalues the work. I'm not saying all crowd-funding is all bad, but f&*k you if you think I'm gonna give you $15, for Facebook shout-out, and a hug.

The SEC is working on approving crowd-sourced investing which could be HUGE for the theater. I give you $15 because I believe in your show, and think you'll sell tickets and give me back my $15 and then some.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:  All of my teachers: Dennis J. Reardon (who begged me not to be a playwright), Laura Maria Censabella, Christopher Shinn, Stephen Adly Guirgis, and Francine Volpe.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  Anne motherf$%&ing Washburn. I mean holy shit.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  It doesn't get easier, and see a shrink.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:   Love Drunk: Series 2 Sunday October 26th


Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You



Support The Blog Or Support The Art




Mailing list to be invited to readings, productions, and events
Email:


Books by Adam

No comments: