Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 776: Jonathan Payne

Jonathan Payne

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Current Town: Brooklyn, NY

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  I am now in preparation for my Ars Nova Out Loud reading in the Fall, on a play called "Poor Edward". It is a play based off an old Czech Fairy Tale, called "Greedy Guts." Which tells the story of a married couple who can't have children, and the husband brings home something akin to a mandrake root, and they raise it as there own. Dress it in diapers, give it a pacifier, the whole nine yards. It then takes on a Little Shop of Horrors vibe, when the root actually comes to life, and lives off of human blood.

It has been a challenge to write as I usually create huge casts, but this play is only two characters on stage the whole time, with no acts or scene breaks. I am quite excited about it.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A:  I have been writing since I was a young, young thing. My fourth grade teacher Denise Duplessis, had us write a short story of our choosing, and odd enough, I wrote one about an ice cube travelling from Los Angeles to New York in search of a freezer. Why it had to venture all the way out to New York for a freezer is anybody's guess. Mayhaps a deeper meaning? The things you need might be closer than you think.

Anyway, the ice cube somehow makes it there in time. And my teacher loved it. She told me I was going to be a writer. I have been writing ever since.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A:  AFFORDABILITY!!! I had the pleasure of going to school in England for three years. It was so easy to see theatre there. I saw so much theatre there in comparison to my longer years here in New York. That the government there invest so much into the theatre is something of note. I wish we could find that here.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:  This list could go on forever. But a few for you. Bertolt Brecht. Anton Chekov. August Wilson. Tennessee Williams. Eugene O'Neill. Samuel Beckett. Adrienne Kennedy. Harold Pinter. Sophocles. Lorraine Hansberry. Living: Athol Fugard. Edward Albee. Peter Schaffer. Tony Kushner. Tom Stoppard. Lynn Nottage.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  I love the stuff that makes you go "WTF was that?" I love the epic on stage. The macro in the micro. The Micro in the macro. Giant ideas, and lights shown in dark and unexpected places. A play from the perspective of a coffee pot. I love work that stretches the bounds of the theatre, which I feel the theatre is quite boundless. I also love that Chekov's plays are viewed as comedies.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  I cannot speak from any sort of stump, but I feel like what has been most rewarding to me is community. I have to remember that my fellow playwrights have been such a wonderful support to me. One of the major reasons I got in to Ars Nova's Play Group is the wonderful playwright Sarah Gancher. She vouched for me when I was being considered. I will always remember that. The writers in my life have been great sounding boards, commiserators, opportunity and resource sharers, and great advocates.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:  Sex of the Baby by Matthew Lee Erlbach (fellow Ars Novan) Sept. 9-27 @ Access Theater.
Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally by Kevin Armento (fellow Ars Novan) Sept. 30-Oct. 24 @ 59E59 Theater
A Knee That Can Bend by Emma Goidel (fellow Ars Novan) Nov. 28th-Dec. 20th. @ The Drake (Philidelphia)

Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

Support The Blog
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events

Books by Adam (Amazon)

No comments: