Wednesday, October 07, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 794: Lauren Van Kurin

Lauren Van Kurin

Hometown: Yorba Linda, CA

Current Town: Los Angeles

Q:  What are you working on now? 

A:  Kong in Vegas, a new play in LA and I improvise with my iO West Harold Team MAX!

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person. 

A:   I'm the middle, middle child in a loud family. 4 kids 3 girls, 1 boy and I was middle girl. I'll do anything to make my family laugh or smile. My family made me a fearless performer.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be? 

A:  Giving standing ovations so often and casting names over talent.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes? 

A:  I saw Mark Rylance BECOME Olivia in Twelfth Night in London at the Globe when I was 20. I'll never forget that performance. The Second City writer/ performers I watched as an intern and my current Fools. My 2 acting college teachers that encouraged me to not give up even though i'd never done a play.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you? 

A:  I'm obsessed with Hamilton right now, like the rest of the world. The Wooster Group, Steppenwolf, 99 seat theater in Los Angeles!

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  Keep writing and writing and writing and writing.

Q;  Plugs, please: 

A:  Come see our show King of Kong: A Musical Parody at the ONYX Friday, Saturday at 8pm and Sunday at 2pm! Serial Killers at Sacred Fools in Los Angeles Saturday's at 11pm, Comedy People's time in NYC!

Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

Support The Blog
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events

Books by Adam (Amazon)

No comments: