Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Sep 7, 2017

Jack And Jill Plays - Part 22 - To See


About Jack and Jill Plays:


This is a new thing I'm doing.  Posting a short play every day as long as I can.  This does not mean that I wrote this play today but I might have.  (My life is not always my own what with work and a 4 year old running around so maybe I wrote it today or maybe it was stockpiled in preparation for the days I can't get in writing.)  My goal is to do at least 100 of these or maybe more but probably 45 or 50 is the length of a full length play so even that would be good.  100 would be better.  300?  amazing.  500?  Does anyone want 500 of these plays?  Anyway, the goal is consecutive days.

The normal things about plays apply-- don't produce or reproduce this play without my permission.  I wrote it so I own it.  Etc.




To See
by Adam Szymkowicz

(JILL and HAROLD.  HAROLD is crying, in kind of a whimpery way.)

JILL
It's not that I don't love you, because I do in a way.

HAROLD
I don't believe you.

JILL
It's just that we're wrong for each other, Harold.

HAROLD
But maybe we're just a different kind of right.

JILL
No, I'm pretty sure we're not.  I mean really do you see you and me together in the long run?

HAROLD
Yes.

JILL
You're just saying that.  You have your boats and I have my ideas and we don't even speak the same language.

HAROLD
I could learn your language.

JILL
But you won't.  The thing about me is that I want to be with someone who likes me.

HAROLD
I like you.

JILL
Don't interrupt.  I want to be with someone who likes me for the things about myself that I like too.  Or the things they like that I didn't even know.  Like am I funny?  Maybe someone who thinks I'm really funny.  And someone who loves the color of my hair.  Like that.  When I talk, you don't understand me.  I say things and your mind drifts and I know you're not really smart enough to get me.  And I'm pretty sure there are great things about me but if I stay with you, I will never know because I will see myself the way you see me.  I will get stuck there.  Because you're kind of overbearing in your world view.  And I think you don't really see me.  Or you do but in a blurry way.  You're looking somewhere else and you see me out of the corner of your eye and so you have a general idea but you never really see me because you can't stop putting things on top of me that aren't really me.

HAROLD
But I love you.

JILL
No.  I don't know what you love but it's not me.

HAROLD
I think it's you.

JILL
No.  I think you want to be in love and I'm here.  Go get on your boat and sail off and just be with you for a while.  And then figure out how to lose yourself so you're not so oppressive to others.  Be buddhist or something.

HAROLD
I'm not going to do that.

JILL
Okay.  Well, I'm leaving.  You do what you do

(JILL exits.  HAROLD sobs.)



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam's Patreon

Books by Adam (Amazon)

3 comments:

walatra propolis said...

thanks good your article

walatra sehat wasir said...

Thanks for information

obat diabetes mellitus said...

Penyakit Diabetes Mellitus merupakan penyakit jangka panjang atau kronis yang memiliki kadar gula darah diatas batas normal
Obat Diabetes Mellitus Terbukti Ampuh