Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

May 28, 2019

I Interview Playwrights Part 1040: Susan Kim





Susan Kim

Hometown: Midtown Manhattan... as a matter of fact, I was born one block east of EST.

Current Town: 40 blocks south.

Q:  Tell me about your play in the EST Marathon. 

A:  It's a 10-minute play called "Privilege" that that I hope is sharp, funny, and a little bit scary.

Q:  What else are you working on now? 

A:  I write a lot of children's TV and just finished story editing a series for Netflix. I also write books with my husband, Laurence Klavan; and he and I are developing a graphic novel pitch.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A: I was at a slumber party when I was 11 when it dawned on me that even though I wasn't especially smart or strong or pretty, I could always draw the entire room when I told ghost stories or jokes.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be? 

A:  I wish there were a hundred more venues and productions of all sizes and budgets -- so getting a new play up wouldn't be such a huge deal.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes? 

A:  Wow. Caryl Churchill, obviously... she's a goddess. And when I was a teenager, Edward Albee.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you? 

A:  I love the Play Company -- they do really interesting work in translation from around the world.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out? 

A:  Get used to rejection. Be nice to everyone. And make sure you find a group of playwright friends whom you like and whose work you respect.

Q:  Plugs, please: 

A:  Ummm... come see my play, please? It's a killer cast!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam's Patreon

Books by Adam (Amazon)

No comments: