Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Nov 2, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 799: Margaret Dulaney




Margaret Dulaney

Hometown: Louisville, Kentucky

Current home: Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Q: What are you working on now?

A: I am juggling two projects now: I have a play running off Broadway at the Theater at St. Clements on west 46 Street called The Hummingbird’s Tour. It will run until November 22. And I also have my ongoing spoken word work with the Website LISTENWELL.ORG, which has offered one professionally recorded essay a month to a growing audience since 2010.

Q: Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who
you are as a writer or as a person.

A: I was raised by a group of women who were quite magical. My work reflects their mystical stories and quirky southern personalities. The Hummingbird’s Tour is inspired by my grandmother, who was a follower of the writings of the mystic Rudolf Steiner. She had a near-death experience when she was in her thirties and raised us to believe in a world beyond this one. I still believe.

Q: If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A: I imagine the theater is developing at the same slow drip as humanity. My hope is that the theater will lift people, however that might be accomplished. Lift us into laughter, into a broader view, into understanding.

Q: Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A: I like my theater to be transcendent. Back to the lifting idea… I love the great classic writers: Shakespeare, Shaw, and Chekov.

Q: What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A: I would tell a young playwright to practice very careful listening. Listen quietly and with such expectancy that you will not miss the voices of your characters as they unfold their story to you.

Q: Plugs, please.

A: The Hummingbird’s Tour is being acted by such a talented group of veteran actors. I hope everyone will try and make it to the show.

My website Listenwell.org is free!



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books by Adam (Amazon)

No comments: