Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Aug 25, 2017

I Interview Playwrights Part 972: Akin Salawu



Akin Salawu

Hometown: Somerset, NJ

Current Town: Bedstuy

Q:  What are you working on now? 

A:  Surreal & absurdist play about a society that murders people for breaking morality laws on the day a revolution begins. It is an all female cast and each woman is of a different ethnicity. There are so many insanely underutilized actresses that I want to create a world that asks these actresses to tackle the kinds of roles that are generally written for dudes.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person. 

A:  Years ago, I got an email from my preschool teacher who fondly recalls my obsession with getting the other kids to put on the Wiz after I saw it on Broadway. It seems I failed miserably and threw plenty of discouraged temper tantrums. I ran a student theater troupe at Stanford but we never did the Wiz. And I threw no tantrums. If anyone says I did, I'm fairly confident there's no proof.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be? 

A:  I would make it way cheaper to mount shows and cheaper to attend Theater so the experience of seeing a show could be accessible to the masses. In this Utopian society, I could cry out "lets make something new!" And all the kids who never get called off the bench dive in and after a few months of rehearsal, we open to massive crowds because theater is as accessible as McDonalds...in this Utopian society.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes? 

A:  Honestly they're mostly teachers who were and are deeply invested in sharing their infectious love for the theater: My High School drama teacher, Barbara Herzberg, Stanford's Patricia Ryan & Judith Dolan, USC's Nina Foch, and Darrell Larson & Oscar Machado from my time at Columbia.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you? 

A:  Theater that cracks my mind open and makes my jaw drop with perspectives and ideas that changed the way I saw something - anything. I could count on 2 hands the times that has happened. The most recent was Small Mouth Sounds at Ars Nova.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out? 

A:  Nobody knows anything, so beware of advice. Mine whatever is inside you and don't worry about commercial viability or pleasing anyone but yourself - that's ultimately what people will be drawn to.

Q:  When not writing on a computer, what's your go-to paper and writing utensil? 

A:  I used to go for simple leather journals & black ball point pens, but lately I'm digging the Pokemon journals. 

Q:  When on computer, what's your font? 

A:   Garamond or Caviar Dreams.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam's Patreon

Books by Adam (Amazon)

4 comments:

walatra propolis said...

thanks good your article

obat wasir said...

WASIR atau biasa kita sebut AMBEIEN merupakan salah satu kondisi dimana terjadi suatu tonjolan dari anus yang disertai dengan tanda secara umum BAB BERDARAH, PERIH
Obat Wasir

obat darting said...

Ditunggu update selanjutnya gan :)
Obat Darah Tinggi

penyakit jantung bocor said...

nice your article