Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Oct 15, 2020

I Interview Playwrights Part 1095: Cavan Hallman





Cavan Hallman


Hometown: Orlando! – You have to sing it, like in The Book of Mormon.

Current Town: Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It’s harder to sing, but a really good place.

Q:  Tell me about Night Launch.

A:  It’s inspired by my family. It struck me deeply at a holiday dinner a few years ago how diametrically opposed some of my family members’ memories were, the different ways that people choose to re-write their shared histories.

In the play, Brenda is exploring memories and traumas that her mother either remembers differently, or flat out denies. It’s set in Cocoa Beach, Florida and jumps around in time, backdropped by rocket and shuttle launches from the early days of the Space Program.

It’s a different type of play for me. A memory play, and I think memory plays are shifty and deserve a little magic. While the characters go to some difficult places, I hope that people also walk away with a sense of awe and wonder.

Q:  What else are you working on now?

A:  I’m writing a comic screenplay about a Catholic priest and a hedonistic ghost. It sounds like a “… walks into a bar” joke, and maybe that’s all it’ll end up being. It’s a throwback to 80’s ghost comedies like Heart and Souls. I’m having a ton of fun and it’s serving as a kind of palate cleanser.

The other thing I’m working on right now is best described as a tragi-comedy and it’s more in keeping with whatever my “normal” style is. It’s coming in fits and starts, but that’s normal for me to work on more than one project at a time. This one takes place in a mega-mansion on Lake Superior during the collapse of society. We track the journey through the perspective of a woman with a rare and real inner ear disorder that gives her supercharged hearing.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A:  I must have been about six years old and we were living in McIntosh, Florida, which was a tiny little orange grove town without a stop light. I was allowed to walk the few blocks from our house to the public park whenever I wanted.

It was shortly after Christmas and I had gotten this amazing all-white sweatsuit that I appropriately treasured. I put the sweatsuit on and head down to the park and the big slide, alone. I climb to the top and just a few inches down, right in the center of the slide, right where my little all-white sweatsuit butt was supposed to go, was a big fresh dollop of bird poop.

But I’m a problem-solver.

I throw my legs over the edges, figuring I’ll scoot down with plenty of room to spare between my body and the slide. My pants will stay pristine and fun will be accomplished.

And, of course, I fall from almost the very top, breaking my arm. I’m stranded, a solo six year-old in a park, as the bone keeps fighting to break through the skin.

And I look back on that story and don’t think it’s horrifying – I find it ridiculous. To go to that kind of extreme to protect an all-white sweatsuit is pretty hilarious, and that probably best explains who I am as a writer.

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:  Read something written by Ike Holter, Gina Femia or Calamity West. These are contemporary writers who deserve to be on people’s reading lists, and their work inspires me.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  I love a play that is satisfactorily complete, but also feels like the characters and the stories live on beyond the fall of the curtain. Since I mentioned Ike Holter’s writing before, I’d say that Sender is a great example of this ideal. I directed a production for Mirrorbox Theatre, where I’m the AD.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  Don’t edit until you have a complete first draft. It took me forever when I was getting started to actually complete anything. I had a very strong inner critic that wanted to tinker and refine before there was ever any tangible object to be examined.

Create something, and then turn your critical eye towards it. Then do it again. And again. And again.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:  I mentioned that I’m the AD for Mirrorbox Theatre – and I’m so proud of what we do. We’re in our third season as the only company in Iowa exclusively doing state premieres of contemporary works. On March 20, we started a series of free Friday night readings, Out the Box, and you can track our events and register at mirrorboxtheatre.com/out-the-box



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Adam's Patreon

Books by Adam (Amazon)


5 comments:

Andrew Lewis said...

I also like plays that are satisfactorily complete. Believe me, I think our lives are incomplete enough, entertainment should always be far away from reality. I choose my movies or plays based on reviews online, and I prefer things that have a happy ending. In fact, I choose everything after seeing reviews online, be it for my academic guidance or personal guidance. Like, recently I searched for best assignment writer reviews online and then selected my option. I think that it is better to select something by taking the opinions of others!

Adriana Martins said...

Effective and powerful love spell and lottery spell caster Dr Jumba
  
Life is always beautiful when you are with the true person you love. For almost a year my lover had broke up with me and I was lonely and sad cuz I really do love my partner, luckily I was directed to a very kind and Great spell caster Dr Jumba  who helped me to bring back my lover to me and today I am with him now and happy together.... Am very grateful for what you have done for me Dr Jumba, I promise to make sure the whole world get to know about this great spell caster....he also specialize on other spells like lottery spell,Protection Spell,Court Case Spell, Love spell, Email him via wiccalovespelltools@yahoo.com or wiccalovespelltools@gmail.com . you can text or call his number +19085174108  website :   https://drjumbaspellhome.wordpress.com

DR KABAKA SPIRITUAL TEMPLE OF ALL PROBLEMS said...


**I am the happiest person on earth today because today My five years run away lover came back to me on his knees with tears on his eye begging me to forgive him and accept him back, Dr Kabaka a great Spell caster made this possible with the help of his love spell casted on my ex lover. i saw his email on the internet where a girl post on how Doctor Kabaka helped her, so i decided to contact him and he told me that every thing will be fine and now i am happy because Doctor Kabaka is a man of his world because everything went well as he promised me. Are you having misunderstanding with your love or his your lover seeing someone else ? what is your problem that you which to solve? contact Doctor Kabaka today via email and every thing will be fine okay drkabakaspiritualtemple@gmail.com call or
whatsapp him +2349015857861. https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/3126317424098517305 https://drkabakaspiritualtemple.blogspot.com/ https://admin.over-blog.com/6581040/posts**

Unknown said...

Please read and also contact DR ISIKOLO if you need a powerful love spell to fix your broken relationship.
my name is Lara Rafael. I got a divorce from my husband when I was six months pregnant with my second child. And all these whiles, I have been trying all different means to get him back, I also tried some different spell casters here in my country, but none of them could bring Richard back to me. It was only DR ISIKOLO who guaranteed me an urgent 48 hours spell casting, and he assure me that my husband will be with me again. I am writing to offer my thanks and deep gratitude to you for keeping your promises, and for using your gifted and great powers to bring him back home. I was thrilled to know that you are specialized in reuniting Lovers. Thank you Sir, for helping me through the worst times of my life. My husband is back and promise never to leave me again. If you doubt his ability, trust me. You should take a chance. If you are their right now and you need a powerful and urgent love spell to bring back your ex kindly contact DR ISIKOLO right now he is the only answer to restore your broken relationship or marriage. His email: isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com or his WhatsApp: +1(725)240-4536

Anonymous said...

I also like plays that are satisfactorily complete. Believe me, I think our lives are incomplete enough, entertainment should always be far away from reality. I choose my movies or plays based on reviews online, and I prefer things that have a happy ending, recently I searched for best dissertation writing services reviews online and then selected my option. I think that it is better to select something by taking the opinions of others!