Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Aug 21, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 778: Lisa Rafferty


Lisa Rafferty

Hometown: Montclair, NJ

Current Town: Scituate, MA

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  I’m co-creating a documentary theater piece on the Boston Marathon bombings with Joey Frangieh and the Boston Theater Company. It is meant to honor and remember those who were impacted, directly or indirectly, and the community that arose on April 15, 2013.

The production will focus on the powerful, profound, inspiring and even lighthearted stories, captured in the words of over 85 interviews. I did 28 of the interviews between April and June of this year with survivors, journalists, runners, medical professionals and others.

The script is being created verbatim from the transcriptions and is inspired by the work of Anna Deavere Smith and the Tectonic Theater Project.

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A:  I made my professional acting debut at age 8, onstage with my mom – a true triple threat and wonderful comedic actress. It was in a musical called ‘Circus, Circus, Circus’ written by the late, great David Vos (‘Somethings Afoot’). That magical experience – all those creative, dynamic, talented people surrounding me – pulled me into the world of theater and I’ve never left.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A:  Unsurprisingly, it would be wonderful if ‘making a living in theater’ did not actually mean ‘my day job and my husband keep me afloat.’

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:   David Vos, my mom, Michael Bennett, Moises Kaufman, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Anna Deavere Smith

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  Theater that pulls in audiences that are not predominantly white, female, suburban (I’m describing myself, btw).

Punchdrunk’s immersive theater, ‘In the Heights’ and ‘Hamilton,’ Theatre Mitu’s documentary mythology, to name a few. And ‘Rocky the Musical’ – the only Broadway show were the men’s room line was longer than the women’s room.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  Two words: collaborators and deadlines. The only way I get anything done.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:  Excited by many ‘MOMologues ‘ productions appearing around the country and around the world, courtesy of the fabulous Samuel French. Stay tuned to Boston Theater Company for information on the premiere of ‘Finish Line’ in April 2016.

@lisajrafferty, @TheMOMologues, @BostonTheaterCo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books by Adam (Amazon)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hallo Mrs. I was your fans, your theater is very remarkable. hopefully his event runs smoothly. the story of your childhood was very inspiring for me. always success
please visit my blog to share inspiration
Obat Mujarab Untuk Maag Kronis Alami Tradisional

Anonymous said...

thank you for posting the interview with mrs. lisa. I hope his success, and I waited selanjutnta work. silanhkan visit my blog Obat Penyakit Asam Urat Ampuh

Permana said...

Documentary? I like documentaries and maybe one of them is . Your conversation was so beautifully describes the important parts of the movie , I like it
Review mysite : Obat Alami Untuk Penyakit Maag Akut 100% Herbal Alami

Isabell Kiral said...

An interview is essentially a structured conversation where one participant asks questions, and the other provides answers. Lisa Rafferty is a great personality and many people like it because she has earned good name and fame. Masters dissertation writing service.