Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Aug 22, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 779: Candice Cain



photo by Katie Bogdanski

 

Candice Cain

Hometown: Brookhaven, NY

Current Town: Brookhaven, NY

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  I have another children's play that I'm putting the finishing touches on, entitled "Books: A Treasure." I wrote it for National Library week, and it was performed at different libraries across Long Island. I also adapted one of my older plays, "What Happened Last Night," for the screen. My production team and I are currently working on getting the funding for it. We hope to film it at the end of November this year. It's a romantic comedy that everyone that went to college can relate to!

Q:  Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person.

A:   When I was in third grade, I had Enrichment with Mrs. Steiner once per week. She would pull me and a few other kids out of our regular classes to work on more creative projects with her. It was a gifted and talented program. I remember one of the topics for projects we had was chocolate. Now, you're giving chocolate as an option to a bunch of third graders-- We all ran with it. That's where I wrote my first play, called "A Journey to Chocolateland." There were like ten kids or so in the class, and we put on this play that I wrote, which Mrs. Steiner filmed. We didn't have sets or costumes, although I remember one of the girls "wearing" a big piece of oaktag with a chocolate bar on it as Mrs. Chocolate. I loved that my idea came to life. It was like everyone was playing in my world of make-believe. Now, as a published writer, it is so much fun for me to see actors playing in my world.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?

A:  Theatre used to be so grand. It was such an event to go and see a show. Recently, my husband and I took our twins to see "Aladdin" on Broadway. We were dressed nicely-- my daughter in a dress, me in a nice outfit, both my husband and son wearing polo shirts, you get the idea. The majority of people there were dressed as though they were seeing a film at the $1 theatre. It was so upsetting to me. Actors, playwrights, directors, producers-- We pour our heart and soul to make a show amazing. It would be so nice if people could take theatre seriously for all of the work that was put into it and dress appropriately when seeing a show. And NEVER EVER EVER leave during curtain calls!!!!!

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?

A:  My favorite playwrights were and still are Neil Simon and Christopher Durang. I also admire David Mamet quite a bit, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a "theatrical hero." As for an actor that is my theatrical hero, I will say Ron Bohmer. When I was a senior in high school, I saw him as Enjolras in "Les Miserables." I was so moved by his performance that I actually wrote him a fan letter and sent it to the theatre. I was absolutely STUNNED when he wrote back to me and included a signed photo. It made me feel as though Broadway was attainable; that "regular" people were involved with productions and that I would be able to do it, too. I still have that photo of Ron. It is framed and on my office wall.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  I love politically incorrect productions, such as "The Producers." I haven't seen "Book of Mormon" yet, but I heard that it really pushes the envelope. It is thrilling for me to get into the mind of the writer and see their work performed on the stage. Politically incorrect shows pretty much say what the majority of people are thinking, which is why they usually get such a big response to them.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?

A:  Don't let rejection get you down!!!!! The wall leading down to my basement is wallpapered with rejection letters-- Seriously. Just keep at it. The Writers' Market is also a fantastic tool to find publishers for your plays.

Q:  Plugs, please:

A:  We have an IndieGogo for What Happened Last Night here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-happened-last-night I was also approved for a grant for AIM Hatch Fund, and would REALLY appreciate anyone that wants to contribute to their fabulous 501c3 charity here: http://www.hatchfund.org/project/what_happened_last_night


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Support The Blog
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing list to be invited to Adam's events
Email:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books by Adam (Amazon)

3 comments:

Isabell Kiral said...

This is very great interview because through this, many professionals can get inspiration and go ahead. We should share such kind of promotional interviews, so that we can provide benefits to new professionals. Dissertation writing services.

Andrew Lewis said...

I thing this is the way where professional and beginner get the idea about interview and their questions and many more.

Struggle for assignments

Tamika baden said...

This very interesting!


Best Zoho software consulting at hamd technologies.

Zoho One Review