Featured Post

1100 Playwright Interviews

1100 Playwright Interviews A Sean Abley Rob Ackerman E.E. Adams Johnna Adams Liz Duffy Adams Tony Adams David Adjmi Keith Josef Adkins Nicc...

Stageplays.com

Jan 1, 2015

I Interview Playwrights Part 714: John Yearley



John Yearley

Hometown: Stanford, CA

Current Town: Metuchen, NJ

Q:  What are you working on now?

A:  First priority is an adaptation of Antigone for young audiences commissioned by Cincinnati Playhouse in the Park. Also writing new material for a one-person show of my work that debuted last month, Confessions from the Plank, starring PJ Sosko and directed by Jessi Hill. Also developing a web series, working on a book of essays about being a dad, and trying to start a new play.

Oh, and I just finished a gargantuan re-write of my most recent full-length, Eight Minutes, Twenty Seconds. So that needs to get launched into the world.

Q:  If you could change one thing about theater, what would it be?
A:  Honestly, I just wish it was cheaper. I feel like so much of what ails theater is because it is so expensive nobody goes. Or when they do go they don't want to try new things. It starts a terrible cycle that hurts everybody

Q:  Who are or were your theatrical heroes?
A:  Chekov, Tennessee Williams, Tony Kushner. Oh, and Phillip Seymour Hoffman - I'm still grieving his death. It's like a close friend died.

Q:  What kind of theater excites you?

A:  Anything that surprises me. I've read and/or seen a million plays. I can see where most are going in about five minutes. I am totally delighted when I turn out to be wrong.

Q:  What advice do you have for playwrights just starting out?
A:  Hold tight to the actors who understand you. The ones who understand what's funny and what isn't without explanation will be invaluable to you in so many ways.


Enter Your Email To Have New Blog Posts Sent To You



Support The Blog Or Support The Art




Mailing list to be invited to readings, productions, and events
Email:


Books by Adam

No comments: